The Chappaqua Garden Club is a nonprofit organization, dedicated to the conservation of local gardens. The Club was founded in 1928 and has over 80 volunteer members from all over Westchester County. The Club is a part of
District IX in the Federated Garden Clubs of New York State (visit at fgcnys.com).
The members can devote their free time among 6 main interest groups:
- Civic Improvement: working with the Town of New Castle to beautify green public spaces. We design, plant and maintain certain areas in the town.
- Flower Arranging: learning about the principles of floral design and creating arrangements for the home, personal enjoyment, flower shows and other Garden Club activities.
- Horticulture: learning abut cultivation and conservation of plants (particularly native plant species) and discussing issues in garden practices. This year, we begin a special focus on sustainability in our gardens.
- Landscape Design: exploring different ways to design gardens, such as adding a water feature, installing a simple bird and butterfly garden. The group brainstorms and learns together.
- Garden Therapy: Preparing flowers to take to the Victoria Nursing Home in Ossining, and working with residents there to create floral arrangements to bring cheer to their rooms.
- Junior Education: Helping children appreciate, understand, and relate to the natural world at a basic level, in order to help them make a connection between what they do and what happens in their environment.
Members can be as involved as their schedules allow. The club’s interest group leaders host many useful and enjoyable programs and workshops. The fee for Active membership is $45 annually. See Contact Us for contact information and a membership application!
For information about joining the Chappaqua Garden Club, or about attending our events, email ChappaquaGardenClub@gmail.com